Saturday 13 November 2010

Un Lapin Saute et une Barberie formidable, really this time

Having recovered from the severe blood loss described in the last posting, I ventured forth into the cold but bright Quebecoix day. Blogging  is quite a time-consuming pastime, so it wasn't longs before hunger pangs began to interfere with the wandering about through the narrow streets of the Quartier Petit-Champlain. Prior to my visit to Quebec city I had done a little investigative work by means of the internet, into the various delights of the city, and had enjoyed the reviews of one bistro/resto which now appeared, as if by magic, before me: Le Lapin Saute (pretend that there is an acute accent above the last letter of the word saute, please.)



The billboard outside The Theatre de Petit-Champlain

I entered in hope, because it looked quite busy, and sometimes lone customers aren't too welcome, taking up a table where two, three or even four might sit. This was not the case at The Fried Rabbit,( no it doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it?)  I was greeted cheerfully by a waiter who guided me to a table, took my coat and asked if I would like something to drink. By some strange inherent  radar-like facility, I had spotted that there were local beers on offer, and so I decided to sample La Chipie, a rousse at about 5%. The pint was delivered along with a glass of water and a menu by a cheery young lady who danced attendance upon the tables in her charge. My choice was soon made - potage florentine to start, with mijole (acute accent) de porc sauce chasseur, pommes et bacon. The soup was very pleasant, enhanced by a vigorously ground helping of ground pepper, and served with freshly baked bread rolls. Even better was to follow - the porc/k was beautifully cooked and full of flavour. My schoolboy french led me to expect apples to be included in the dish, but it turned out to be the other kind of apple, de terre that is. The beer went down well too, it's 5% adding a certain warmth to the situation.The meal was rounded off with une crepe a l'erable (too many accents to list individually) - I'm actually becoming more fond of maple syrup products.

The meal completed, and me complete, I paid and left (it's always better to do it that way round), so was startled when the you g waitress came chasing down the street after me.. [No, don't say that you have that effect on young waitresses].... I wasn't going to, I was going to add that I had left a parcel on my table, so there! It was now about 2.00 pm, and I suddenly wished I was in Spain. No disrespect to Quebec intended, but I was suddenly overcome witrh a need for siesta, so returning to my hotel I rested for an hour or so, before setting off on a quest for bieres quebecoises.I knew that La Barberie, a famous Quebec microbrasserie wasn't too far away (20 minute walk, not far from the Gare du Palais, the rail station). I was furnished with another map and some instructions on how to use it to find la Barberie by the very helpful young lady behind the reception desk. (Not the fairy, another one)

It didn't take long, about 20 minutes in fact to find my way to La Barberie, housed in a fairly functional building in rue de la Roche, and I entered with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Preparatory research had indicated that there was an option of purchasing a carrousel of galopins - yes that's what I thought too - what would I do with a roundabout of galloping horses.Just kidding...the carrousel (French spelling)in this case is a revolving device which allows 8 galopins of beer to be placed in front of those wishing to sample 8 of the beers on offer. Each galopin holds about about a third of a pint. I found a seat at the bar and placed my order - un carrousel de galopins s'il vous plait monsieur. Et voila, there it was.

Eight beers, each numbered, so that one could refer to the menu on the blackboard. The menu referred solely to beer - the only food on offer were bowls of crisps, available freely on request.  As I sampled my first, number 4: amere cure, a rousse at 3.4%,- legere aux houblons explosifs, finale caramnelisee - a good starter I thought, I was engaged in conversation with a gentleman sitting to my left at the bar. Alain, as he was named, turned out to be a circus director, who had worked all over the world, but was back in his native Quebec, and working on a project involving an equestrian circus. Fascinating. I slowly worked my way through the carrousel:#

No. 5: Blonde biologique - 4.5%: legere 100% bio. Finale florale.
No 7: Pale cream lime et framboise. Rafraichissant aux aromes, juteux de fruits.
No 6: Rousse bitter (4.5%) - aux houblons explosifs et la finale aux malts caramelisees.
No 5: Sansfacon:  (blonde 4.5%) blonde legere, arriere gout florale
No 2: Blanche aux mures (5%) biere de ble aux forts aromes rafraichissants de malte  et de mures
No 1: Blanche miel et agrumes (7%) Biere de ble aux forts aromes d'agrumes
No 8: Stout double chocolate (4.5%). noire toute en rondeur, aux aromes de chocolat mi-amer.

Hmm. Having sampled, well, finished all 8, I decided to try a pint of No 6, the rousse bitter, which was the only one of the eight to be clearly labelled as a cask ale. the others, I was informed have a minimum amount of gas added, I then finished with a verre (half) of the stout - delicious.

If anyone is wondering why the brewery is called La Barberie, perhaps this picture might help:

Le carrousel de 8 galopins

 
Check out their website for more info: http://www.labarberie.com/

On my walk back to the hotel I passed the railway station, which is transformed at night by clever lighting.



La Gare du Palais


I was back in my room by 10.00, and decided against a further expedition to  Le Bistro Pape-George - too much of a good thing isn't a good thing!

1 comment: