Monday 15 November 2010

Saturday 13 November - Quebec, Vanier et Luce Dufault

How do I begin, to tell the story of how great a day can be,
To tell the story of what this day would mean to me?

Well it's difficult, I can tell you!

I didn't sleep too well after my visit to La Barberie on Friday evening, but I can honestly say it wasn't due to the beer consumed. In fact I didn't sleep too well on Saturday night either, for reasons which will become clear later in this posting. Saturday 13th November was a day I have been looking forward to for a while, and it began well. Safely (!!) showered and dressed, I packed my stuff and went down for breakfast.

Anyone watching might have thought, “My, there's a healthy chap, having orange juice, a banana and an orange for breakfast.”
 [What about the croissant and coffee, then?]

OK, fair enough, but they might still have thought “My, there's a fairly healthy chap, having orange juice, a banana, an orange, a freshly baked croissant and a cup of coffee for breakfast.”

[Anyone watching wouldn't know about the eight beers sampled last night, and the sandwich, crisps and two chocolate bars bought from the petrol station on the way back from La Barberie!]

Sometimes, just sometimes, don't you wish you didn't have an inner voice, or a least had one that didn't keep interrupting your train of thought? […...]

Thank you! [You're more than welcome]

To continue, having secured my luggage in a room downstairs I left Hotel le Priori with the intention of exploring the old town, up near Chateau Frontenac, the landmark building which dominates the city and is now an expensive hotel. Reaching the old, walled part of the city from the Quartier Petit Champlain requires the individual on foot to climb the steep rue de La Montagne, or to make use of the funicular railway which facilitates a much less energetic ascent. Malheureusement, as one might say, the funicular was funackulered!

 [cheres amies quebecoises et russes, et amis quebecoix, ne recherchez vous pas pour ce mot dans vos dictionnaires anglaises – il n'existe pas. Quelquefois cet homme est trop!]

 I was just having a bit of fun, adding a bit of vernacular humour, hang on, I could have just said the funicular was vernaculared, might have been more amusing.

 [It might have been, but it wasn't!]

En effet, in fact, the funicular was not working [that's better – would have saved so much trouble] because of major building works being undertaken around the front of the Chateau, which means that the quickest way up there is via rue de La Montagne, past some of the famous wall frescoes which depict the history of this extraordinary city.'

Because access to the area in front of the Chateau is barred, I wandered further around the town until I found my way to the old fortress which overlooks the river and the old port. It was a crisply cold but beautifully bright morning, with a strong breeze blowing from the north, the ubiquitous quebecoix flags fluttering vigorously against an azure sky. [You see, when you try, it's really quite descriptive] . Having taken in the magnificent view, looking north and east, I wandered back down to the old town, popping into one or two shops on the way. I had almost reached my destination when a large dark coloured vehicle, which was driving towards me along rue Dalhousie, braked suddenly and pulled to a halt beside me. Was it all to end like this, bundled into a dark vehicle, sold into some people-trafficking plot, destined to end up serving the every need of some drug and alcohol fuelled celebrity in downtown Saguenay?

[Where on earth does this drivel come from, I ask myself?]

Fortunately, the answer to this question [his, not mine!], was “no” [I'm still waiting for the answer to mine!], as a front window was wound down, revealing Sylvain and Louise, my very good friends from near Montreal, who were coming to pick me up and take me to another hotel, from which we would all venture forth, The Three Lucequetaires, to see Luce Dufault live in concert in Vanier, just to the north of the city. I retrieved my luggage from the hotel and off we went to Hotel Clarion near Ste Foy and the huge road and rail bridges crossing the river. We were in very nice rooms on the 12th , the top floor, with an amazing view. Louise and Sylvain went off to visit family, and I blogged for a bit and rested a while, and watched the clock constantly until it approached 5.00 pm., the allotted time to meet up again and set off to have supper before the show. I have to tell you [you don't have to, you just choose to]... alright, I choose to tell you that there was something strange going on in that hotel. There were people with sashes and badges, and magic lamps, you know, the kind from which, when rubbed, genies appear. I'm not saying that they were walking round carrying/rubbing magic lamps [just as well, because it wouldn't have been true], but there were pictures of magic lamps stuck all over the walls, and slogans exhorting those present to “Release your inner genie!” Oh my! It was some form of conference organised by Toastmasters, an organisation designed to promulgate the art of public-speaking among the wider masses, (or perhaps it was a front for some lamp-swapping or occult genie raising!)

We drove to the Vanier suburb of Quebec city, to establish the whereabouts of La Chapelle des Arts, the converted chapel which was the venue for Luce's concert. Having found it and tied it down so it couldn't escape while we went for a meal,

[Don't be stupid – there's poetic licence and then there's.. there's... oh, just get on with it!], we went for a meal at a Quebecoix chain restaurant called Normandin. It was very pleasant, very busy and served good family fare. I had a tasty chicken brochette washed down with a glass of Pepsi. Then, back into the car and the short journey back to The Chapel.

We parked in the car-park [sounds logical] took some photos outside, and then went in. there was a sprinkling of people in the billeterie/bar/waiting area, but we were very early. At this point I should tell you that Luce had very graciously provided the tickets for the three of us, to be collected at the box-office/billeterie. We asked, but there was no sign of any tickets for us, so one of the guys disappeared through a door to make further enquiries. After a little while another chap from the Chapel staff emerged from the same door and not only provided us with the tickets, but with the offer a drink from the bar, on Luce. Merci millefois, chere Luce! It waasn't too long before the doors into the auditorium opened, and we all filed in. the seats provided were excellent – centrally positioned, and nicely raised so there was a clear view of the stage. It was not a large auditorium, but of the size which makes for a much intimate experience. There was soon a full house, and an expectant murmuring ran around the salle.

Finally, enfin, the house lights dimmed.... there was a hush....two shadowy figures emerged from the darkness and smoke at the rear of the stage and took their place at either side – on the right Jean Garneau, guitarist and musical director, on the left Jean-Sebastian Fournier, keyboards, bassist, accordionist – musiciens extraordinaire, les deux. The music began, atmospheric lighting adding to the drama of the amazing sounds generated by Jean and Jean-Sebastian... and then, in silhouette, the tall, slim figure of Luce as she moved forward into centre stage. I only wish this was a multimedia presentation which would allow me to recreate the visual and auditory impact of the moment, but it isn't so you will have to take my word for it. Most of you reading this humble piece will know why Luce's music means so much to me as an individual. I owe her a lot – in effect Luce and her music changed the course of my life – it might sound sentimental and dramatic, but it's true, none the less.

So, sitting there with Louise, Sylvain and the rest of the packed auditorium it was time to be immersed in the wonderful emotive atmosphere generated by Luce and her musician friends. It was time to smile, to dance, to clap, to be torn apart, to be comforted, to feel sad, to feel good. It was time to enjoy the good humour and perfect comic-timing of this raconteur, or is it racontresse, with her infectious laugh which generates such a warm and sympathetic feeling in the auditorium. And for me, at one point, it was time to be made to feel very special.

The songs came from Luce's extensive repertoire, with songs in English as well as French. There were old favourites which drew special recognition from her fans, and there were 'newer' songs from her recently released album 'Luce'. Some of the songs from her earlier albums were given startling new treatments, with amazing arrangements by Jean Garneau. Des Milliards de Choses, for example, was the first song that I heard Luce sing, on an internet radio station, a song that led me order two albums from Amazon Canada, and which, effectively, captured me. It was almost unrecognisable on Saturday, with an introduction which brought goosebumps to my goosebumps and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. The music, the voice and the lighting combined to amazing effect – simply stunning, beautifully stunning!The list, if I was going to give you a list, went on each performance bring rapturous applause from the audience, who were in generous and vocal mood. I'm not going to pick favourites, but as always, Belle-ancolie, Richard Seguin's beautiful song, was a highlight. Cyndi Lauper's 'Time after time' was given a refreshing and lively up-beat make-over, and Carol King's “Will you love me tomorrow” brought back many memories. There was “My Funny Valentine”, an MP3 version of which Luce had sent to me before the CD was released, and “The water is wide”, “La femme a la Mer”, “Tu me fais du bien”
 [excuse me, I thought you weren't going to give a list!],

 sorry, but then there was “Fire and Rain”, and I've just got to tell you about that.

When that Icelandic volcano with the very long and unpronounceable name erupted earlier this year, it put paid to my plans to see Luce in concert in Montreal, and by way of letting her know, I wrote a bit of a parody of Fire and Rain and sent it off as a message. Imagine my delight when she dedicated the song to me at the Club Soda concerts, and Jean-Marie, Luce's husband, having video'd the song, they posted it up on YouTube for me(and lots of other fans) to watch. It's still there if you want to have a look – just search for Fire and Rain, Luce Dufault. That was amazing. What happened on Saturday was even more amazing! In introducing the song, she recounted the history of our initial contact through MySpace, the concert in Ste.Hyacinthe in May 2008, the trip in November 2009 to see the launch of her album, which in fact didn't take place until the New Year, the volcano-effected trip in April, and the fact that I was there in the audience with two friends, her superfans and friends Sylvain and Louise. The house lights came up and she asked Sylvain and Louise to identify themselves, to much applause. Then it was my turn, and as I raised my hand in acknowledgement, a lady behind shouted for me to “Stand up”, which Louise further encouraged me to do. So, there is this old baldy guy from England, standing up, and being applauded by the entire audience, and even more magically, by Luce and her two musicians also. Wow, that's one way to ensure further album sales in the UK!! (Sorry, just joking!) If I could have auditioned for the role of the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland, I would have got it, without a doubt!







One more mention of the concert itself – I have heard Leonard Cohen'sHallelujah” sung many times, by many people, including UK X Factor winner Alexandra Burke and up to Leonard Cohen himself, and even a Spanish version sung by Israeli Yasmin Levy. If there was a Richter Scale for song performances Alexandra's would have rated quite well, Yasmin's would have definitely caused some emotional damage, but for a live performance, Luce's version would have, and did, bring the house down. I wish my family and friends back home could have been there – they would have known exactly what made me want to fly across the Atlantic solo (Now come on, there were about 200 people on the aircraft!) Oh shut up you, you know what I mean!

The encore ended, the standing ovation over,the fans filing out – smiles and nods of encouragement from complete strangers. An amazing feeling. An invitation to go back stage. A swift word and hand-shake with Jean and Jean-Sebastian as they were dismantling their equipment. And down to the dressing-room to share time with marathon runner, dog-walker, comedian, mother, dish-washer and lovely lady Luce Dufault.

If only I could see her again before.....[don't tell me you've forgotten!!!!] …..........oh yes, St.Andree-Avelin, Saturday 20th, at 20.00! Oh YES!!!!!!

Oh by the way. I would love to know if I'm just writing this for Barney the Labradoodle to read in his leisure moments, or whether anyone else is looking at it. If you are, would you mind leaving a comment, even if it just your name or pseudonym!

9 comments:

  1. If Luce is a great storyteller, so are you! And for everyone, I was there and this is exactly how it happened! Except he forgot to mention that it was Sylvain who opened Luce's beer bottle! He's very proud of that!

    We feel blessed to be able to go to almost any concert we want to. We would wish that fans all over the world could experience at least once, the blessing we get everytime! Because it is a blessing to receive such a gift. She offers her voice so generously, and we receive raw emotion everytimes!

    Like Robin said: I brings goosebumps to our goosebumps!

    Time stopped for a while for us...and it was our pleasure to be able to share that with you dear Robin!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise. It looks like you are the only person who is reading the blog! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrong! - I'm checking in every day - at least once and usually more often! Now I've my iPad (YAY!) I have this blog marked as an icon on the front screen.....

    Pleased it's working out for you - feels like I've been there with you every minute. Keep writing buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I have to admit I hadn't been reading it beyond the first paragraph, on Facebook,sorry. (You know this micro-blogging Twitter generation haven't got the attention span)
    But then I felt bad, so I did read it and I'm glad I did! Sounds like you're having a great time, I will await your next post (and read it). Just watched the You Tube video, my French is very bad but I made your name out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm so glad you're back doing this! I'll be reading regularly and being proud of my Little Bro'!
    Que le Bon Dieu tu benisse! [imagine the acute accent on the first "e"]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, but that's taken me aback a bit... Robin as someone's Little Bro!!! And it's good to make your acquaintance - having heard much about you from the man himself..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Luce chantait “Hallelujah” de Leonard Cohen!!!
    Tu es heureux, Robin ;))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Robin !!!

    I'm reading you too !!
    You shure can tell a story !!!
    See you tomorrow !
    Oh ,By the way,is there a song that you did not hear in Vanier that you would like to hear ?
    Let me know !
    Amitiés
    luce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Father dearest... I hate to break this news to you, however I regret to inform you that Barney the Labradoodle is unable to read... I attempted to teach him how to log on, but it would seem his academic skills aren't that far reaching, in all honesty I feel his phonic knowledge of the sounds 'ch' and 'd' are as far as we will ever get... I'm sorry. Needless to say, I am here and reading, when I get the chance :D So make sure you mark me present on the register!!
    Bon Soir Mon Pere... Buenas Noches, and Have a Good Night!! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete