Thursday 11 November 2010

November 10 - to Montreal

Well, that was quite a long day - left home at 10.15 am, taking a taxi up to Newcastle airport. The traffic was unusually heavy, but still made it for 11.00. Once again I dropped my bags in the airport, ooer missus, and then went through security without mishap. I bought a requested item from the duty-free shop, and then wandered into Dixons, to have a look for a 16GB SD card for my camera - I should have had one from Amazon, but it didn't arrive in time!! I came out of Dixons without one - they were 3 times more expensive, and that's supposed to be duty-free.

Somewhere between there and the aircraft I succeeded in losing my nice warm Tilley winter hat, which I bought last November, in Montreal. Curses!!

The flight down to Heathrow Terminal 5 was excellent - bright sunshine, no turbulence at all, and on time. I then had a couple of hours to spend before the flight to Montreal, which was due to take off at 15.35. The gate opened on time, everyone boarded on time, and we took off a couple of minutes early. I was sitting in row 27, with a bulkhead in front of me, but a little more leg-room in compensation. It was a comfortable flight, with the normal routines - achieve cruising altitude, drink of water, gin and tonic, chicken tikka masala, glass of red wine, vanilla and chocolate creme brulee (two accents short here, sorry), more water. Being in a seat without a drop-down tray in front of you makes life interesting when you're trying to eat a three-course meal, with glass of red wine. The small tray which arises from the arm-rest, twists round and unfold across your lap is not designed for anyone with a waistline exceeding small, so it is necessary for others, including yours truly, to sit bolt upright, breathe in (and occasionally out). I also had my new toy, the Amazon kindle on my lap, and having got the tray in position, myself in position and the meal in position, I dropped the kindle on the floor on front of me! Using all the dexterity of two size 46 feet encased in thick soled Ecco walking shoes I managed to pick it up and pass it to my immediate neighbour who was able to stretch further forward than me!

After the meal, it was back to the Kindle, reading the second in the Steig Larsson trilogy, and then a bit of film watching. I chose "Get him to the Greek", a comedy starring Russell Brand as rock icon Aldous Snow. It was billed as a comedy. No, I am not being facetious - there were several moments when I laughed out loud, which must have been disconcerting for those  around me who were trying to sleep. Lots of foul language, inane behaviour and misuse of alcohol and illegal substances - and that was the cabin staff! No, it wasn't really.
Then out with the ipod to listen to my Montreal playlist, whilst closing eyes. I may have dozed off for a moment, but not for long. Then listened to music whilst glancing at the real-time journey map displayed on the screen, counting down the miles and minutes left before arrival. The flight actually landed about 15 minutes early, at 18.00. At immigration I was askied the normal questions, but I didn't go in to too much detail, when the officer, having established that I was to be in Canada for 11 days, and on my own, asked "Why?" in a very stern tone. "Just a holiday."

"You have friends, here?", he asked in an  almost unbelieving tone
"Yes, actually, and what's it to you, you pompous twit?",  I didn't reply (actually I just said, "Yes, I have.")

Then collected my bags, which I had dropped in Newcastle, you may remember, headed out of the airport building and took a taxi into town. I'm staying one night at the Best Western Europa hotel on rue Drummond, not far from the home of Les Canadiens at Centre Bell. It's a nice place - pleasant room with two king-sized beds, work-desk, free wi-fi etc, but the biggest bonus I didn't discover until I was on my way back after the show at Lion d'Or - in part of the hotel building is Chez Cora, breakfast and lunch spot extraordinaire!

Having checked in, etc, I made my way out in to the cold night air (about 1C) and made for Lion d'Or. It was a question of a short walk to the Peel metro station, a metro ride to Papineau, and then a short walk to the venue. Amazingly the route, consulted on google maps a week or so ago, had stuck in my head, so I managed to find it without any trouble. Entering the club I collected my ticket, ordered over the internet and went into the salle. It was a pleasant place, dimly lit, with lots of tables and chairs arranged in cabaret format. i bought a pint of boreale rousse and found an empty seat. It wasn't long before the object of my visit there came on stage - the Manitoban group Les Surveillantes. I first saw the last November, and thoroughly enjoyed their clever, amusing, quirky, and sometimes just beautiful songs. This was the launch of their new album in Montreal, and launch it well they did. I loved it, the audience loved it, and they seemed to love it too.

After their performance I went out into the lobby, hoping to meet them, and was lucky enough to be able to speak with all four - great people. They were amazed that I had come from England to see them, and it was nice to have a photo taken with them, Thank you Danielle, Eric, Jeremie and Denis - a great start to my visit to La Belle Province!

Discretion being the better part of valour, I left having spoked with Les Surveillantes - apologies to Alain Cote who was on in the deuxieme partie - I was just too knackered!! Found my way back to my hotel and crawled into bed about 11.00 pm (4.00 am in my English head)............zzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment