Wednesday 16 April 2014

A moment to treasure....the Lucequetaires talk to their Luce.

What a day! Sunday 6th April had already seen an unforgettable visit to Mamaev Kurgan, a wonderful lunch and a sobering afternoon in the Stalingrad museum. What more could we pack in to a day?

Well let me tell you, dear reader, the day was far from over! There was one event which would make it an even more special day for Daria, Iraida and me, and special too to someone special, far away on the other side of the Atlantic. Readers of my blog from my visits to Québec over the last few years will recognise the name "Luce Dufault".  My friendship with Daria and Iraida is entirely due to Luce, because we all love her voice and her music.

During my last visit to Québec, last August and September, I was fortunate to see Luce perform no fewer than four times. We had hoped to be able to set up a Skype chat with Iraida and Daria, but the concert tour schedule, together with the massive 12 hour time difference between Québec and Siberia made the task impossible. By way of a consolation, Luce dedicated a song to the girls, and gave me permission to video-record it. Daria and Iraida were thrilled. If you haven't seen the video, here's your chance! If you don't speak québecoix, don't worry, just enjoy the music, and the warmth of the message from Luce to her two young Russian fans for whom she is an inspiration.
(The video is about 18 minutes long, but if you can spare 18 minutes you will be well-rewarded!)



Not long after my return from Québec, I learned that Bruno Pelletier was to tour Europe, with two concerts in Russia. And so the crazy plan for me to visit at the same time, to take in the concerts, and to meet my two young friends was hatched. In communicating with Luce by Facebook, I had mentioned the possibility of setting up a Skype videochat, to take place in Russia, with Luce joining Dasha, Iraida and I through a video link-up. At first Luce admitted that she didn't know how to Skype, but being Luce, she promised to get up to speed before the appointed date. Because Daria had been unable to come to Moscow, the videochat was scheduled for the evening of Sunday 6th April, at about 20.00 Moscow time.

So, a little while before the appointed hour Dasha arrived at the hotel and we assembled our technical equipment. I had my netbook, tablet and smartphone, all capable of Skyping. Daria had decided that the hotel lounge area, with its tables and comfortable armchairs would be the best location, and so, much to the bemusement of the staff, we set about re-arranging the furniture, and then ordered a pot of green tea with slices of lemon, whilst we chatted, took photographs, read copies of Sunderland and South Tyneside Campaign for Real Ale magazine "Camra-Angle" and took more photos.

You were reading "Camra-Angle"? I'm sure that went down very well.

Well, I respected Daria's journalistic viewpoint on the publication, but to tell you the truth, I really just wanted to get some photos of them reading it!













We were drinking our tea and chatting when one of the assembled pieces of technology beeped. Someone was Skyping us. Luce had already given us her skype id, and sure enough the call was coming from her! The girls nearly passed out on the spot! We hurriedly set up the netbook to receive the call, but as she called again my smartphone connected first. Nooo! Eventually we decided upon the tablet, but when we made visual contact with Luce, sitting at home in St.Denis sur Richelieu there was no sound! Curse you technology! No, thank you technology, but please be easier to use!

We struggled for a while with the various bits and pieces, and I even ran back up to our room to collect a microphone. Just as we were going to try this, it suddenly dawned upon us that if Luce could hear us, it wasn't our sound that was the problem! We suggested that there might be something to be switched on at her end, and her husband Jean-Marie appeared behind her  to offer technical support.  Daria and Iraida were also thrilled to see Youki, Luce's dog, wandering around in the background.




After several minutes of technical frustration, we were at last able to communicate effectively. We spoke mainly in French, although when I got stuck I resorted to English. It was absolutely wonderful to see the sheer delight on the faces of Iraida and Daria. They were almost floating a foot above the ground. It was equally as wonderful to see how much Luce was enjoying the experience too.


These were moments I will cherish for ever. I had achieved one seemingly impossible feat - to meet my young friends from Siberia and Volgograd, and was with them as they achieved what they had thought was an impossible dream. Daria took some photos of Luce as she appeared on the tiny 7 inch screen, and then I took a photograph of them 'together' with Luce between the girls. I have rarely seen a photograph of two faces so radiant and happy. I just love it!



You almost lost it again, didn't you?

Yes.

Don't blame you really. It was very special.

It was.

At last we had to say au revoir to Luce, having spoken of the possibility of setting up a repeat performance on a video-conference type skype, when we were all back in our own homes, and involving our good friend Louise, in Repentigny, near Montréal. There were many simulated hugs and blowing of kisses before the connection was broken. But some connections are never broken.

You've got that silly smile on your face again.

I know.

We took a few minutes to recover, or at least to recover enough to speak, rather than giggle. We tidied up our equipment and took it back to the room. But if you think that was it for this remarkable and seemingly unending day, you would be wrong, because we were going for a walk through the city, to see some of the landmarks in the city centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment