Thursday 10 April 2014

A long-awaited meeting; exploration, brunettes, concert and late night train journey.

Thursday 3rd April was an amazing and seemingly un-ending day, which started for me at about 06.15, when I awoke with that strange feeling, lasting seconds only, of being surprised by your surroundings. The streets were already busy and there was some traffic noise as the working day in the city was under way. The people walking along the street outside were mostly wearing hats and scarves and were slightly bent as they walked into what seemed like a strong wind. It looked cold.

 I checked my watch and immediately thought that somewhere not too far away, an aircraft was approaching St.Petersburg, carrying in it my young friend from Krasnoyarsk, Iraida Gordashevskaya. Iraida’s flight had taken off from Krasnoyarsk at 05.30 and was due to arrive at 06.30. It had been more than a one hour flight however, since Krasnoyarsk is many thousands of miles from St.Petersburg, and is 4 hours ahead in terms of time zone.  The flight arrived on time, and it wasn’t long before my Russian phone pinged - a text from Iraida. She had arrived safely and would be at the hotel at about 09:00. I asked her if she would like to take breakfast with me, but it seemed that we would have to go almost straight away to the railway station to meet her close friend Darine, another Dasha. Dasha had helped me to buy tickets for the Bruno Pelletier concert in Moscow, and was coming to meet Iraida and go with us, and the other Brunettes to the concert in St.Petersburg. We would have breakfast with her.


I was very curious about the breakfast at the Octiabrskaya, to see what was on offer, so having spoken with Iraida I decided that I would have a light breakfast on my own, and then have a second  little later with her and Dasha. I made my way down to the first/ground floor where the restaurant was situated. It was quite palatial, and the breakfast buffet was spread into sections in the large pillared room. The choice was immense. There were sections for fruit, patisserie, cereals, pastries, cold meats, cheese , vegetables, hot dishes in large lidded containers some of which emitted steam on a regular basis and large toasting machines.  I’ve actually never seen anything like it. I didn’t have the sense to take photos, but it was really busy, so I’m not sure it would have been feasible. There were several groups of children, ranging from primary school age through to what could have been high school or university students. I was very healthy and chose fresh fruit salad, orange juice and a coffee.
Having enjoyed this refreshing repast I returned to my room.

Nice bit of alliteration there.

Thanks. I then decided I would go and wait for Iraida down in the lobby. I wanted to be able to see her before she saw me, so I positioned myself to the right of the main door, beside the security guys. I could just about see about ten yards along the street, in the direction I expected her to be coming from. People came and people went. Large people, small people, young people and old people. But then I spotted a familiar hat, and coat and there she was. She came in looked around and climbed the steps into the lobby. With a quiet “Coucou” I attracted her attention and there followed a monster hug. It was wonderful to see Iraida, to really see her as opposed through a computer screen. We have talked many times, and it was just wonderful to be able to reach out and touch her.

We went up to my room, had another hug and then Iraida began to unpack her bag. Most of the space inside was taken up by gifts for me, my grandchildren and Dasha Panchenko.  



We chatted for a while, had another hug, and then left the hotel to meet Darine/Dasha at the Moskovskaya Vokzal. She was arriving on the overnight train from Moscow.

Were you aware that the Russian word for Railway Station (Vokzal) is derived from the time when Russian railway engineers visited London in the 19th century to learn about the English railway system. One of the places they visited was Vauxhall, in the English capital, and that word was adopted as the description of a major station.

That was very explanatory of you.

Don’t mention it.

I just did.



We waited in the main hall until the gates to the platform were opened. Security in Russian railway stations is quite high, with screening devices and metal detectors similar to those in airports. Passports are needed for identification purposes.

We then rushed through on to the platform, watching the passengers who had disembarked from the train moving towards us. Iraida was very excited, because she hadn’t seen Dasha for about a year, I think. She soon spotted her in the distance and then there were more hugs and kisses. Russians are into hugs and kisses . It's all good.

We went back to the hotel, and laughed about the fact that I had first gone up to my room alone this morning, then with one young lady, and now with two. Iraida suggested that it would look even better if all the Brunettes came!



After essential visits were made we then went back out to find some breakfast. The first place didn’t meet with the girls’ approval, so went to a KofeHaus, part of a chain of fast food cafes with an emphasis on more traditional Russian food.  I say ‘fast food’ it took a very long time to be served. The girls were intent on me trying real Russian foods – I had blini, (pancakes), with a topping which took a lot of explanation. Just try to explain condensed milk to someone in a foreign language. They tried, and eventually succeeded. (sgushchennoye moloko) . I haven’t had condensed milk for years – it brought back many memories. We left KofeHaus ( you have to speak that word out aloud, in a voice as low as you can produce, you know, like the guy of the X-factor or some advert or other, because the in-house radio station is punctuated by that kind of announcement.) Every time we passed another such establishment someone said in basso-profundo “KofeHaus”.

Actually that was you.

True, but in my defence my voice is a bit lower than theirs.

Can’t argue with that.

We walked to the Metro, and after a couple of changes we got off closer to the River Neva, the Hermitage and one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have ever seen. It wasn’t long before we saw it’s imposing cupolas, but even before that I was startled when both girls let out screams of delight and rushed to the wall of a building where was displayed a poster advertising Bruno Pelletier’s concert. There were photos to be taken, poses to be struck.


As we walked along the canal, the cathedral became more and more imposing. The colours of the cupolas were set off by the clear blue sky. It was cold, but beautiful.













Next we walked along Nevsky Prospekt, and then turned right.


 Ahead of us was a massive arch, and through the arch came the first sight of The Hermitage, the former palace of the Tsars and now a World Heritage site and one of the foremost art galleries in the world. 






I had visited The Hermitage in 1966, guided by a young lady who became very special to me – Alla. More photo opportunities, with much exchanging of cameras and smart-phones.


















Then we moved out of this amazing square on to the banks of the Neva , a river on whose banks Tsar Peter I build this city as a window to the west. The wind was icy, and we move on past the Admiralty building with its tall thin spire along to the statue of Peter the Great on horseback – a symbol of this beautiful city.















As we approached the statue we could also see St.Isaac’s Cathedral – another very special place for me, another involving Alla Georgievne Nechayenkova.


Then it was back to a café near Octiabrskaya Hotel. We had left all of our luggage at the hotel, to be collected before our departure on the overnight train to Moscow. Here at the café we rendezvous’d at about 14.30 with a number of Brunettes who were preparing for the evening’s concert. It was like a military operation with tickets being handed out,  flags been made, pompoms distributed and presentation of bouquets organised.






It was nice to see Alena again, and Iraida was warmly greeted by friends she sees only rarely. It was wonderful to share in all of this. We had  meal and then, at about 17.00, we assembled outside, before moving off with quebecois flags being waved and worn over shoulders. The Brunettes were on the move!


The metro was very busy – it was rush hour. The metro in St.Petersburg is very deep underground, because the city was built on marshy ground. For stability the tunnels are built well below the levels of the city – in consequence the escalators are immensely long. It seems to take about ten minutes to ride from top to bottom. I dread to think what it would be like if and when they are out of action. At one point the group was divided but was soon reunited on leaving the Metro. It was then a short walk to the Music Hall, where the concert was to take place. Iraida, Dasha Z. and I detoured a little to see a model representation of the major buildings of the city, laid out in a small park.

When we arrived at the venue the lobby was already busy, with one section taken over by the Brunettes. There was Alena, seemingly in charge of distributing bouquets of white roses to the Brunettes who had ordered them. It was very well organised. Then it was into the theatre where we left our coats and bags at the cloakroom. The cloakrooms are very important, as you might well imagine, and are run very efficiently by ladies who were sufficiently scary that you did what you were told.

Finally it was time to enter the auditorium and find our seats. I found myself seated beside Iraida, but Dasha had a seat somewhere else. Fortunately the person who was supposed to be sitting on my left didn’t turn up, so Dasha was able to be with us too.
Fortunate for you too.

Will you stop that!

No comments:

Post a Comment